Sunday 12 May 2013

I am not broke, says African China

I ran into, African China, born Chinagoron Onuoha, at an event and so I asked him what he has been up to lately and why he has sort of face off from the music industry. Hope you enjoy my interview with the 'Mr President' crooner - Story by Abimbola Adebayo

You have not been doing music lately, what have you been up to?

I have delibrately been very quiet because, I realized that I was making songs that are not making much impact. Songs that are not relevance that does not show, who African China is. What we have now is not music, you should do songs that will have impact on people's life, a song that will create a change. I have to go back and see what is wrong.

So are you back into music industry now?

Yes I am back, I have been working on my album and which will soon be released. On it, I have songs titled 'Boko Haram' and 'Poko' . In, Boko Haram, I talk about the many issues concerning the boko haram sect. I, talk about the president proposed amnesty for them . I ask why the federal government is paying youth corpers, N19, 000 and proposed to give 100, 000 per month to Boko Haram as amnesty. For me, I don't see, why the federal government should do that. Are they encouraging violence.?

But you never did a song on the Amnesty given to the Niger Delta militant, which I believed you are from?

That means you have not been listening to my songs. The point is that you might not know because all my songs have been banned by the federal government and the only way to know about me and my songs is to google my name and see, what I have been up to lately.

People said that you have been very broke and that is why you have not been doing music?

Me broke, people, who said I have been broke don't know what they are saying or know nothing about African China. Because, I have quiet doesn't mean, I am broke. How can some that is broke built houses. Built his house, I mean not in Ajah but in one of the most expensive area in Lagos State and I mean I Festac. Do you know, how much I spent in sand filling the land?, I am not broke or do I look like a person that is broke?

So, while you have been off music, what else have you been doing?

I have been into property.

Meaning you are into developing or selling?

I have been selling and developing houses.

No comments: