Wednesday 19 June 2013

A gay can't get close to me - Jibola Daboh

 
Story by Abimbola Adebayo - abimboladebayo.blogspot.com
 
In the movie industry, the name Jibola Dabor is well respected and rings a very loud bell as its bearer has come to be regarded as one of the finest actors in the industry when it comes to interpretation of roles and professionalism. In this encounter with Abimbola Adebayo, the A-list actor talked about many things and why he love women.

He might not specifically tell you when he started acting as a professional but Dabor has carved a niche for himself in Nollywood and has become the favourite of many with the number of fans he had garnered over the years. This was made obvious during this interview, when a young man had to wait for over an hour just to have a picture with him.

Read more of the interesting interview after the cut
He has always said that he has always been acting since his primary school days, having started on the stage in the 70s and 80s and in television series before leaving Nigeria. The Owo, Ondo State-born, heavily-bearded actor first came into limelight when he married one of his professional colleagues, Ayo Mogaji in a traditional way, being a firm believer in Ifa pantheon.

The marriage however ended so suddenly even before it started but with a child to show for the union. Even though both of them have since moved on with their lives but Daboh still talks fondly of his relationship with her. Hear him: "We have remained friends over the years and still keep in touch. She had a child for me but I would not want to talk about her."

He has acted in many controversial movies in the past such as "Men in Love."

So what has he been up to?
'I have been abroad. So, any movies or soap opera you see me in are those I’ve acted in the past five years. I have been involved in other businesses and also to take some rest."

About his clean shaven head, his hairy white moustache and beard which has become his signature mark in the industry and among his numerous fans.
"All these have always not been so. This appearance unknown to many came as a result of my going bald and after I shaved the hair and discovered I look good and I decided to go with it and over the years I have remained with it. In my younger days, I used to have a head full of hair. In some movies, however, I have had to shave off my beard and moustache, especially when I am going to play a younger man and most times people might not even know I am the one. I have left it this way because it has become my identity with my numerous fans who would not want me to shave it off.

Concerning his relationship with younger actors and actresses in the industry?
"I always tried to bring the younger ones as close to me as I can if they show that they are willing to learn. There are some of them who have been close to me and I have shown them how they can get along in the industry. I am also someone that loves to make people happy, so whenever I am somewhere, I always want people to be happy and people always draw close to me.

In most movies especially in the Yoruba genre of the industry, it has become a popular trend for ladies to act almost nude in a bid to look daring and also used that as a bid to get popular but to the actor, who has distinguished himself in the make believe world "A lady can dress anyhow she pleases but that will never make her a star. The producer knows those that are good and those that are not and they will call only the good ones to feature in their movie."

On his relationship with the opposite sex.
"I am a flirt because I love women. I love to flirt with women to make them feel good, though, to others, they have come to misunderstand the meaning of flirting. "I can flirt with a woman, but that doesn't mean I will take it beyond that. The next time I see the lady, I might not even recognise her again but at the time I am with her, I will make sure I make her feel special. I like to make people happy and I don't like people with sad faces."

On the issue of homosexuality has become a hot discussion in Nigeria.
"I wonder why anyone would want or be gay. I don't know how two men can have sex together and enjoy it when there are lots of women to have it with and beautiful women for that matter. And if there are homosexuals in the industry it does not concern me as long as they do not come close to me."

Many might however remember of his role in the controversial homosexuality-based movie 'Men in Love' which he co-acted with Muna Obiekwe. The movie shows both actors in sexually provocative outfit, especially G-strings and in many sexual scenes with naked bodies except for his genitals covered partially by the G-string panties he wore.

Why at a point it he was appearing only in Yoruba movies and soap operas.
"I was acting everywhere, in Yoruba movies, English and soap opera. I acted in the ones I am called to act in. At a point, I acted in many Ghanaian movies and people thought that, I am a Ghanaian because of the way I speak. At a point people thought I’m a Ghanaian but I will want people to know that I am a Nigerian and a real Yoruba man brought up in the yoruba ways to acknowledge the yoruba ways."

In Nigeria, lots of actors and actresses are always moving from one location to another and the numbers on movies that they acted in have come to be equated to their popularity but Daboh do not agree with this fact. To him "The numbers of films acted in should not be used to judge the popularity of an actor, rather, it should be the numbers of big budget movies acted in that should count. An actor can act in one movie in a year, just like it is done in Hollywood, Bollywood and he will be comfortable not to look for another job because he is well paid for the work he did. The reason why Nigerian artistes are always on location all the time is because they are not well paid and they have to augment their income by taking on every job that comes their way, most of which pay small amount of money. In the long run, this always tells on their health because they are not resting, they don’t have time to take care of their health trying to make more money."

On the several deaths in the industry.

"Nigerian stars are not taking time to relax. They are always hopping from one location to another. Right now, we the officials of Actors Guild of Nigeria (AGN) have been telling our colleagues to take time to relax and also look after their health." He also said that "An actor should always have something saved for the future but most Nigerian actors do not save. They usually spend the money the way it comes in."

But actors are always paid peanut by producers...
To that, hear him: "That is not true and not an excuse, If a pure water seller can have money set aside for the rainy days, why shouldn’t actors have something put aside for the future. They should also learn to ask for what they deserve as an actor not about the numbers of movies to feature in. By this, there will be professionalism in the industry."

Opinion on Nollywood.
"The industry is still growing but is yet to grow to the stage that it can be compared to Hollywood. Most Nigerian producers are not ready produce high-budget movies, though some of them have taken the bold steps of shooting highly expensive movies, which I think is right for the industry. The high budget films are those taken to the cinemas. The cinema is the future of the Nollywood as well as combating piracy which has sunk its teeth deep into industry."

He also loves the latest development whereby some Nigerian actors are moving out to the international scene.

Jibola Daboh, a father and grandfather, is a holder of a Master degree in Mass Media from Columbia State University, in the United States. He also has a first degree in Fine Art where he majored in graphics. He has acted in movies like 'Dirty Secret' a movie regarded as Nigeria most controversial, featuring Tonto Dike. Others he acted in are 'Gift of Pains, 'Kingdom of beauty' 'End of Throne of Grace' and ‘Kingdom of darkness’, among many others.

Born in a polygamous home, after the demise of the father, the actor who was born without a silver spoon, had to hawk different types of wares to augment what his mother can provide to take care of her six children. According to him, he hawked things like shea butter (Ori) and kerosine and also had to take up menial jobs before he was fortunate to travel abroad because he has an uncle who believed in education, even though, he didn't support his career choice of being an actor.

No comments: