Sunday 16 June 2013

I work with secular singers to gain souls - Kenny Saint Brown

By Abimbola Adebayo (www.abimboladebayo.blogspot.com)

However you may rate her music, Kenny Saint Brown will be mentioned as one of the prominent gospel singers in Nigeria.

KSB, as she is fondly called has been in the music industry for almost two decades and in this interview with Abimbola Adebayo, she talked about her music and marriage.

Read more after the cut

Though, she now wants to be referred to as Kenny Saint Best after filing for divorce after her marriage to Eddy Asiedu Brown crashed in a most controversial way, KSB has moved on with her life and seems to be growing stronger as a gospel singer who had remained relevant, even when those that started with her are no longer there.

She has churned out many hit songs like 'Turn me around', Mo ti goke', 'Heaven came down' and 'You are worthy.'

She remains the only gospel singer who has continuously featured non-gospel singers in her songs, an action that have always generated argument that her song tends towards secular music.

Your sing gospel songs but feature secular musicians most times.
It not really the music, It just because I work with mainstream artistes because I don't want to call them secular because will are all secular. If when we go to church to worship, you understand that we are more spiritual. The moment you stepped out of the church, we are in a secular world. The news, the songs we watch on TV show that we are in a secular world. My music is not secular but the people I work with do secular music and they are the ones I work with because I want to use them to take gospel music to their fans. I am buying into their fan base. I am taking life to them. If I don't buy to their fan base, how can I take my kind of gospel music to them?

Gospel music and its listeners.
Gospel music is beyond the church. I had done that over the years and now God is using me to take gospel music to parties, clubs, prisons to people who ordinarily would not listen to gospel music but when you tell them God is 'Alaye Baba' they would listen because you are using their language to relate with them. God says in his word, occupy their heart, he didn't say occupy the church, so I'm using people they can easily identify with to preach on the street, to prostitutes in a way that they can identify with'. It is a revelation to me and I am working on the revelation. The most things that God has given to us are in the secular world. I think of the people on the street, the prostitute who would be inspired by my song.

Why people have said she can't sign to another label.
I formed Kennis Music for my brother. I told him we should start a record label and he accepted. He also needed the platform to sell me. I recruited the first star. I was the one that trained the staff. By then, my brother was the general manager of Daar Communication and was promoting the company while I was doing the marketing, productions and managing. So it was not that I'm on my brother label. I am on my own label and again, if after fourteen years, and I am getting better, why should I leave? Am I the only one on her brother’s label?

Her journey as a musician
In about fourteen years in the music industry, I want everyone to agree that I have improved on my skill as a musician because I have undergone self re-evaluation. I want people to see and project me in terms of the longitivity, the tenacity, consistency, that has stood me out after so many years. I have remained true to my colour. I have been able to raise similar artiste, a prodigy, who had become a brand on her own and that is no other than Essence.

About Marriage
Please, don't discuss marriage with me. You can ask me question that will promote me as a person and also my work. My marriage is an old issue and I don't think anyone is still going to be interested in that. But ask me about what will promote my life and work. But right now I am not thinking about marriage, I'm happy with my life right now.

Collaboration with other artiste
I am the only gospel singer who has worked with many non gospel artistes like El Dee Da Don, Jawon, Essence, Ruggedman and many others and I still have plans to work with others in the industry in the future. They too believe in God as everyone else and some of their songs are very inspiring.

Her background.
 
I started my higher education at Moshood Abiola Polytechnic and from there, I moved to, Ogun State University now Olabisi Onabanjo University where I studied English Arts for my first degree. I later went to the University of Benin, where I obtained my Masters Degree in Multinational Corporations and International Finance. I also hold a Post Graduate Diploma in Theology from the RCCG Bible College.

No comments: