Thursday 18 July 2013

I didn’t enjoy my childhood - Chidinma


The Project Fame West Africa, which happens to be the biggest reality show in the West Africa sub-region, is a forum where a would-be musician comes to showcase his or her vocal and lyrical skills.

It is right there that a young girl named Chindinma Ekile fought off a stiff competition from equally talented peers to win the grand prize of the 2010 edition. Three years down the road, even though her contract with MTN Project Fame has ended one year after winning the competition, she still hovers around, trying to prove herself in the ever-challenging music industry.

Read more after the cut

Abimbola Adebayo
had a chat with the petite singer whose big voice bellies her size. Enjoy as you read on.

Since winning the MTN Project Fame West Africa, how has the journey been for you so far?

The journey so far has been very challenging. I have had to learn a lot of things to get grounded in the music industry. Being a young girl, it has not being too good for me at all. I had to learn a lot of things. I have had to work with different kinds of people and I had learnt how to relate with them. In the few years I have been doing music, it has been a mixed feeling of pleasure and hitches.

But one would have thought winning the competition will give you the platform as an artiste...

Yes it did, it really gave me the much-needed platform and I rolled on it very well. I tried very well to make maximum use of the platform. It has helped me to cross the hurdles that I might still be fighting if I had not gone for the competition. So, it has really helped me a lot.

Are you bound under any contract with MTN Project Fame?

The whole thing was for a year and after that you are on your own. I'm now doing it on my own.

Did you ever envisage that 'Ikedike' will get this popular?

My album has ten songs and the most popular of the songs is 'Ikedike'. The song as brought me so much recognition in Nigeria one of which is the Kora Awards, where I won the 'Best female Act' in Africa.

Did you ever think of winning the award?

I never thought of winning the award among the nominees that were on the list but I am happy that I won the award.

Since becoming a star, how has your friendship been with your friends?

Yes, I have lost many friends since I won the competition but I have some that are still around.

Will you say losing some of your friends is as a result of envy?

Yes, I will say that. When I have not won the competition, if you called me for us to hang out, I would go but now, if they called and I said sorry I can't go because I have other engagements, like going to the studio, granting interviews and so on, some will just feel offended. And they will say because she is now a star she is behaving somehow.

What about school?

I am now in the University of Lagos, in my year one.

With such a tight schedule, how often do you have time to attend classes?

I don't usually have time to attend class but I try to as, often as I can, in most cases.

I assume your celebrity status will, in most cases get you favour with the lecturers?

It has never happened that way. I do all the stuffs that other students do. Like my assignments and attending lectures when I am not busy with music. But that is not to say it’s an easy task for me.

Now that you are really gaining a lot of attention with your music, how is the relationship between you and your siblings?

I am still cool with my siblings. I still relate with them as the old Chidinma and they too still see me in the old way. In my home, I still do what I have to do like I used to do them in the past. I still run errands for my parents and my elder siblings. It’s when I am outside that I can now ‘form’ Chidinma, the star, but in the house, I am just Chidinma. You need to come to my house to see the way they talk to me. They still call me and tell me, Chidinma, come and do this things and I do them.

How has your relationship with guys who want to date you?

I’m not in any relationship now. I'm not dating anyone. And with guys, I have always kept my relationship simple with nothing attached.

Where do you see yourself in the next five years?

In the next five years, I might not be an artiste anymore but whatever the situation might be, I want people to listen to my songs and be inspired. This is not about longevity, it’s not about the archives, it’s not about the numbers of albums, it is about the messages in my songs and what people can hold on to and be inspired by.

With your statement, would people not say you are giving up on yourself?

I am not giving up on myself but anything can happen and I used the word 'might'. Nobody knows tomorrow. You cannot predict what will happen to you. In the next seconds, someone can die. So, I am saying, whatever the situation might be, I want people to listen to my song and be inspired.

What kind of outfit do you love and what will you never want to be caught wearing?

I really love my African prints and I will not be caught wearing a micro mini dress and skirt.

Ever sexually harassed?

It has never happened to me and it will never happen to me.

But most ladies complain of harassment?

It has never happened to me. I never gave any man the chance to sexually harass me and it will never happen.

You have been linked to a couple of guys, so who are you dating now?

I will not talk about anything. I want to keep my relationship private. Whatever you have heard about me is not true but still my relationship remains private.

Since winning MTN Project Fame, do you still keep in touch with the other contestants?

I still keep in touch with the other contestants. I and Yetunde still call each other. We are still friends.

Did you ever see yourself getting this far in your music career?

I never thought I was going to win MTN Project Fame when I went for the competition. Everyone thought it was a challenge for me being the youngest. My experience was limited and I was scared. Really, anybody could have won the competition. Without it, it would have been difficult breaking into the music industry. I don’t know where I will be now.

Your background

I am from Imo State, born in Lagos. I am the sixth of seven children born to Mr and Mrs Ekile. My father is a construction engineer while my mother is a housewife. My parents are disciplinarians.

How was your childhood like?

My childhood was not fun. I didn't have the time to do what I wanted to do as a young girl. What other young girls of my age are doing then, I didn't have the time to go out often because my parents are disciplinarian. It was always from the house to church and from church to the house. I never know how to be a young girl.

Have they relaxed their hold on you?

Yes they have because I have to work, though they still tell me what I have to do at times.

No comments: