Thursday 22 August 2013

I can never date a politician and bankers are dirty people- Halima Abubakar

 
Halima Abubakar is a well-known actress in Nollywood and has also been involved in many controversies. I met with Kogi State born actress and the following is how our chat went. Enjoy it because it is an interesting one

You recently premiere your first movie 'The Mistress' how has the response been so far?
It has been overwhelming especially online. Because it is being view online, it has been showing on iRokoTV but it is going to be officially released on Monday. People actually think it is out because the movie as actually sold itself. The demand is much. We have order from people who want to distribute. Which is strange, I am really really excited that people want to. it is a brand new chapter and it officially coming to DVD.
You had earlier talked of taking it to the cinema, what happened?
 
It was to be premiere but the time they gave me was now and if I had waited till now to premiere, it would have been too long, people would have gotten tired. For me, it was unaccepted. I'm just going to release and do some signing in Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt, and calabar

Since joining the league of producers. Is it harder than being an actress?Yes, it is harder than being an actress because the money is coming from your pocket. As an actress, you receive to go to the bank, I am not returning. But this one, you are bringing out money to invest which is quite different. Apart from the money I have spent, I have to manage a cast of 60, which is not easy for anyone to do. I am the executive producer but the producer is Stanley Ebonini.So, how much would you say you spent producing the movie?

Read more after the cut



Without exagerating, I would say I spent up to 7 to 8 million. At a point during the production, I lost some tape. I never budgeted that I would spent that much because I am already in the business. I had to call some people to re-shoot some scene and add. I just want the movie out instead of calling Yvonne Nelson to come back to Nigeria.

Are you saying that Yvonne Nelson is missing in the movie?
She is still in the movie but because of so many things that are not in it, some people character were a bit limited. She is the lead character and myself, Mary Uranta and Ruth Kadiri are the major lead.

So how has it been, moving your family from Kano State because of the Kano crisis?It was not easy, especially the financial aspect. They are now in Kogi State which is closer to Kano. You know it not easy to up root everyone. I still have my younger ones schooling at a boarding school there. I was there recently to see them in school. Funny enough, I had an amazing time when I was in Kano. I spent three weeks. I had an amazing time visiting because I lost an auntie. Actually, my mum is still in Kano. I don't think, we can actually move out of Kano totally. We have our family house in Kano and If, we are to ove, we have to look for buyer, which is not going to be easy.
 
I know you have a bakery in Kano, Is it still in operation?
It is still functioning. We recently renovated it and people are still ordering for cake and bread.

Who is the real Halima?
I am a home body. I love staying at home. When, I am not going out, I like to watch movies. I am like a regular student with day to day activity. I don't do more than I can handle.

How do you always feel, when things are said about you, which you think are not trueI still feel bad but I know the real me. People that know me, knows I am a home body, I am not into frivolous things. I don't have any bad motive. You know when you are nice to people, you expect them to be nice to you but I am amazed that people still find something bad about you and I have seen that you can't be perfect. No matter what you say, people want to believe what the want to. I am not the type of person you ask a question from and I will start denying. If it is true, I will tell you but If, I don't tell you, i means it not that important.

What as being in the limelight done to you positively and negatively?

It has brought with it lots of invasion of privacy. You would be amaze that people that don't know their first name and have not actually met are the one spreading more rumour about you. Or they have met you, you snap picture, one and two which is coincidental, but you know people, immediately, they sees it, they say, Oh, they are best friends and picture is something that is exciting, when you see people that want to take picture with you.I just take picture without thinking that their is a motive. But, half of the girls these days want to snap picture with you, so, that they can say, they are your friend.
You mean actresses?
Some are actresses and some are student, who are mischievious. And, there are few people that will see something and defend it. I proud to say, I am not somebody that would just want to destroy anybody because, If, you do that to me, I will be very sad. I no longer entertained such stuff.

It like you have stop being friends with some of your friends, what actually happened?

Looking back, I came to Lagos alone. Most of the time, I take things emotionally, when I meet people, I just click with them. We become friends and there is always something to argue about. Friendship is are not forever. At a point, you need to drop some and meet people that will add value to you life. If someone is not adding value to your life, I think you have to give each other a break.

In the industry, who is your best friend?

I am sorry, I don't have any best friend in nollywood

But you used to be very close to Tonto Dikeh, what happened?

We are friend but I only told you, We are not best friends.

You like to upload your photos on the internet and when people comment on them, which sometimes are not too nice, How do you always feel about the comments?

Actually, those pictures are not being uploaded by me. Except I tweet them on twitter, so that people you are not close to can see them and get close to you.I tweet prayers and inspirational words too. Once in a while though, I want to do some sexy picture and I am not the one who always upload them. I have a Personal Assistance, who do that. I have come to a point in my life, I don't do all that again and I don't let thing bother me

What kind of outfit do you love most?

My mum like me to wear jeans and T- Shirt and covering my head, that is, when I'm in the North but naturally, I love gowns. But, when I am going to work, I wear trouser but I'm a gown person.

There was a time you shaved off your hair and people said that, you did it because your hair had been destroyed because of too much weavon but you claimed it was for cancer awareness (she cut in)?

Don't mind them, I am still on lowcut. What you see me wearing now is a wig. It does not mean I won't grow my hair back. What I'm doing is not something I will just do and go and rest, it a continous deed that I did voluntarily and I take responsibility for. I don't know why my taking off my hair is a pain. It is my hair.
There seems to be a brand new Halima?
I believe you have change too. Change is the only constant thing in life. I try to update myself and evluate my life, look at my priority. I wil like to say that to me, change is necessary. I grab things as they come. I feel I don't need something. Noise is one of them, malice is one of them. you can't hurt people you don't talk to. You discovered that people you are so so close to end up being strangers one day.

It was said that you were dumped by your oil tycoon boyfriend because of your lifestyle, Is that true
What lifestyle?,You don't see me anywhere except at event. People just talk for talking sake. They just want to find fault in people when I see one or two things about me, I just said to myself, was she with me, did she go with me to the club? Did I introduced anybody to smebody that this is my boyfriend? I like to do my things in a low profile way especially my private life. So, when I see people going to saying stuff. For, godsake, who knows,who I'm dating. I didn't introduced them to anybody except, he is the one saying, he is my boyfriend. So, I really really don't see the need for that story because, I didn't come out to say, I am heartbroken. If, I'm in a relationship, I am in a relationship, If, I'm single, I should tell the truth. I can't kill myself because, I'm scared, I'm no longer in a relationship. How, do you intend to meet somebody else. I just don't need to respond to certain story.
But, it was said he was responsible for financially backing you up?
Were they there when he was given me money? That means, if I am in the toilet somebody must be there to monitor me. Don't mind them, I don't know what they are talking about. You know, it a good wish to have a guy who can take care of you, to love and appreciate you. I don't know, if it good of me to refuse the good gesture. I don't care about that. if your boyfriend can take care of you, you re lucky. So, if they are sayinf that. I receive it. You know something might happen.

Is Halima single or dating?

I won't want to start lying, I'm single.
But, the current news about you, is that you are getting married?

You see all the misinformation. You upload a picture on instagram and that is it. I uploaded a picture of a gown on instagram, it was a Vera Wang, I love it and I said, this is something I can wear on a red carpet and they said it a wedding gown and it went viral. When you google my name, you see, you will see 'Halima weds, Is Halima getting married?. it crazy to upload a picture? You see, there was a time a story was written on the internet that I am pregnant for an actor, and after sensationac the story at the end, they said watch out for the story but people who do not take time to read the story we just go and start commenting. Until you go back to read and you find out that it was a harmless thing and it was just a headline. I am not pregnant, I have never got pregnant for anyone, I am not married, I don't follow people to places, so the rumours should stop. I go to event for my career and atleast, I should be able to have fun and I will not stop going for events and that is that. But, you see, private parties, it's rare to find me there. At, what point do you I have the time for that. with the hectic life that we are always living. At what point do I have to have fun. You won't beleive it, in two and half years, I have not been to Abuja but people would not believe me.

I noticed that some of your old photos are no longer on the internet, did you have them removed?

I don't know what is happening myself. I have noticed it myself. Do you mean on my website? Anyway, it is only natural, the fans need new updates, rebranding for a second life. You just need to keep updating, that is the way I see it.

So, how successful is Halima Abubakar?
Name wise, I am successful but money wise, I am not too successful. I am able to it and cloth myself. I would say, I am contented because, I am a contented person. I don't go extra mile to make money.

Nollywood actresses are living flamboyant lifestyle despite the fact that they don't get paid that much formovie role, so where is the money coming from?

Well, for me, I do business. You can't imagine what I do. I can tell you, if I want my home to look beautiful with a little budget, I can't do that. All, I need is to think and people we think she i rich, whereas, she is only comfortable. I am one of those that is content with what I have. I am aiming for more and if I see people who want to help with my career, I am not going to say no and that is another money in my pocket. The essence of struggling so much is to be successful. I don't have to be rich. If, I'm healthy and comfortable, I am ok.

You are yet to make an international debut like some of you colleagues?

I don’t need to do what every other person is doing, everything have got it time. How many actually acted in Hollywood movie, they are few. Most of the abroad movies are whack anyway. Other things that I have done are actually better. My project, documentary, I think I have a great resume. I, think everything I have done is taking me toward the international level. One day, I will get there and I will bring them to come and act in Nigeria. As long as the story is well scripted and well narrated. You never can tell. I can’t go to L.A and start struggling. I have done so much I have won so many awards, more than 20. I have won awards as ‘Best Actress’. I have won ambassadorship and awards for my charity. The one I am looking forward to is an ambassadorship that will bring payment.

What is this thing about actresses dating politician, there have been stories about you too?I have never dated a politician. What do I need a politician for? Randy people that have lots of girlfriends, I would I want to be one of the girlfriend to anybody. And, here I am saying it publicly; I have never dated a politician. I’m not interested in their lifestyle. The greed is just too much so I won’t want to date them.

What are those things you have done in the past that you say I regret doing it?

Taking some decision, actually giving room for insult, I’m quite sure I am not going to wait for people to say that I am humble. I am to an extent a nice person.

The story is that you rode on the scandal of your nude photos to limelight (Cut in)…
 

Have you seen my nude pictures? I can’t believe I’m listening to this. No for what, I don’t think I have any scandal to my name because If, you look at Blackberry, there are almost negative things. You see people naked at swimming pool. It was a swimming trunk I wore and people are saying I was naked. I can’t keep explaining about that. I don’t regret some action and I don’t know what I had done that I have to keep explaining. Have anyone seen the picture. People should go and look for those pictures. This is not a question I should be answering because it a long time ago. I was only 15 years old. At this stage in life, I should not be answering that. I was off nollywood for five year. I went back to school.


So, what made you to come back to nollywood after leaving for a long time?


I was done with school and most of the people don’t want to give me job without sleeping with me and I am not interested in that lifestyle. How many people can I sleep with to survive? Let not code or decode anything, people in the banking industry are all randy people. All, they want sex with you before they give you a job. I’m not interested in that.

What do you think about calling some actresses A-list in nollywood

I don’t believe that there are A- list actresses. As long as you have achieved what they have achieved. We are all A-list. Other people that are not A-list are actually richer than them and more business oriented than them. I don’t want to belong to any list.

How do you maintain your skin?
I don’t do anything special. It all depends on how you maintain your skin and skin type. If you have pimples, leave it free of make-up for a while.
 


People are saying Halima is bleaching her skin now?
I am not a light person and I don’t know why people are saying I’m lighter. I am chocolate in colour.
How do you cope with negative comment online
 
Initially I used to cry but now I don’t even read those stories again especially on print media because I have someone who does that. And most of the time, I am usually not around. When I go online, I see one of two things about me and I used to cry but now I see it that people are bored or lazy and when they have free subscription, they go on the internet. There are different types of people. Some are sad and some are happy. Some are born critic. I am not here to impress anybody but to work as an actress.
 Aren’t you afraid with the way your colleague’s marriages are crashing, if something like that might happen to you?

I am not everybody, my name is Halima and I have a different path. I have a different future. I don’t think anybody should ask me, why I should get married. I cannot justify myself to anybody. The men are horny people and I will not advice anybody to stay in an unhappy marriage. Men can leave you and in 2 months be with another woman. I have actually advice more married people than single and I am single but if you think your marriage is not working, I advice them to leave than kill yourself. A man that cheat you on you and he’s not apologizing then dump the man.

So, If your man cheats, you will leave your marriage?

If the man is a randy goat, you should leave him. If, you want to divorce, then divorce. Really, it not a I want to discuss.

Won’t people say it because you are not married you are saying this?

I wish them happy married life and let them keep their problem to themselves. At least they should keep it out of the public. One of the things, I have in my head is not marriage and whatever people think is their business.

The most expensive thing in your wardrobe?

My wristwatch.
How much is it worth?

I can’t say before people will start talking. I have good pairs of shoes too.






No comments: