Tuesday 4 February 2014

I never left Nollywood- Star actress Liz Benson Ameye

By Abimbola Adebayo

At the peak of her career in the 90's, Liz Benson, suddenly went off the scene and just as suddenlyshereappeared in 'Living Funeral' a movie about cancer and all the problems associated with it, whichalso got her a nomination as 'Best Supporting Actress in a Drama in the Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards. In this interview with, Abimbola Adebayo, the Nollywood veteran, who is now an evangelist talks about her faith, acting and many more.

Liz Benson (Nee Ameye) metamorphosed into a screen goddess when she played the role of the tough, Mrs Agnes Johnson in the 1993, soap opera, ‘Fortunes’. She was to gain more popularity in the blockbuster movie 'Glamour Girls' a movie about prostitution and all that surrounds it. From there she went on to feature in many other movies but suddenly at the peak of her career as one of the biggest actresses in Nigeria and she disappeared from the big screen to embrace religion but was it a hard decision for her to make judging that she had to leave the glamour and glitz that surrounded her at the time ' To tell you the truth it was not an easy decision to make but I am here today. I leave in Jesse in Delta State, where we have to go out and preach the gospel'.

Read more after the cut

Having lost her first husband in her 20s years ago, Liz got married to Bishop Great Ameye in 2009 in a quiet court ceremony. So, how did she meet her new husband ' I got married to my husband by divine arrangement. God spoke through many people. It was so unbelievable because I fell into his plan. He (her husband) was there waiting and I was here (In Lagos). Even after we met and he proposed, I was still running but a woman of God told me that I am running away from my husband. Most people would not understand what happened so I am going to leave it there."

Asked if her latest appearance in two movies a sign that she is back on the big screen, she answered that she never left. "I just went to do something else. If the movie is a gospel one I will feature in it'' but if it is not a gospel movie ''then it has to be something that has to do with humanity. It has to be a movie that would change or turn around the life of people. For me it is not the moral standard of people that I am interested in but the moral standard of God."

The talented actress said she never missed acting even though a lot of people thought that was all her life was about. "They only saw the celebrity or star side of me but one or two people I call friends knew I have always been very close to God. Even when I was at parties, I might just leave to go and pray. This was something that happened a long time ago but I tell you some of my friends find me a bit strange because I never did certain things or allowed myself to be soaked up in so many things. There are so many of us in Nollywood, who are hiding under the glitz of limelight but know they have a personal relationship with God and it would be a matter of time God will catch up with them."

Liz Benson described the movie industry as fantastic. "We now have the financials capabilities to get the equipment that eluded us before. When I looked at the directing and editing, I see that it is a thorough job done, I must say, I give kudos to the directors and everyone in the entertainment industry especially in the movie industry. It is a great improvement. There are still some infrastructures that are still not here but judging by what we have they are doing great."

With many movies to her credit, the veteran actress claims that all her movies hold a very dear place in her heart. "For me I deal with every production and all the challenges that come with it as unique. I can't place a hand on any of my works and say this is it but if I am going to take it into any account, I would say 'Living Funeral' is something that appealed to me because now I am a minister of the gospel and I am to put a smile on people and tell people it is okay. When I had to play that role I was shaken by it, I can't even bear to watch the movie again, I just tell God, don't let anyone go through this and if there is anyone going through it, he should just see them through".

Being off the camera for a long time but like a professional that she is, Liz said it was not difficult for her to get into her role in 'Living Funeral', "it has always been there so it was not difficult for me. If you have being doing something for a long time and you came back, you might stumble for a while but you immediately get adjusted to it. I also acted in ''Dry' a movie Vesico Vaginal Fistula by Stephanie Okereke Linus"

The actress turned evangelist said style meant different things to different women. "To me style is what you are comfortable with. Due to the place I live and what I do, I don't have time to explore much on my style. I don't normally do ‘weavon’ because most of the times I am out there to work so I weave or pack my hair. I have to weave my hair because I have to go out to talk to people especially to women I have prayers with. Where I pray, there are no air-conditioning so I have to be comfortable. I wear kaftan so my skin can breathe through it and I also wear flat shoes for comfort. With my style I am not trying to make a statement or impress anyone but to be myself".

With all the glamour that comes with the limelight and having to look one best to maintain that status but It was however surprising to see her bare of any form of make-up and to this, she said "I have always been like this except when I am on set, that you see me with make-up. Any picture you see me with a lots of make-up is when I am working".

Commenting on someone who has enjoyed the limelight to now live a life of simplicity she said "I derive so much joy from having to counsel people and they go and put it in practice and it works and that gives me lots of joy. I am always filled with joy that God is working in your life. So, for me I am very comfortable with my life. This heart has always wanted to serve the Lord. In 2001 that I had a thanksgiving at the Foundation Faith in Lekki, I told the church to pray for me that I want to serve God but I never said I wanted to be a minister of the gospel. Although, the minister of God, Bishop Bama Maga and his wife came to my house one day and told me that there is the calling of God over my life but I told him that God had already pick those he wanted to preach the gospel. With my experience, I have come to found out that many of the servants of God never came out to say I want to become a minister of God. God just ambushes you while you are trying to know him more. I started preaching here in Lagos on Allen Avenue. Some people still remember me. One of them met me at the airport and told me that I came to preach at her shop and to her customers, when I started."

The Copyright of this story belong to abimboladebayo.blogspot.com

No comments: