Thursday 22 May 2014

I want to run an household like my mother- Emma Nyra


 'Elele' crooner, Emma Nyra, is the only female singer signed with, Triple MG record label. In this interview with Abimbola Adebayo, the singer talks about her challenges as a female singer in a male dominated industry and what she looks out for in a man.... excerpts

Can you tell us what you are working on at the moment? I am currently working on new singles and shooting the much anticipated video for my single 'Elele' ft. Davido. The song is on my forthcoming Album produced by Selebobo.

What more are we expecting from you this year?

This year you can expect more music from me and collaborations from different African artistes as well as international collaborations. I am also currently shooting for my reality show called ''Emma Nyra 5.0' which is about the life of a female artist on tour. The reality show is set to be released this summer.

Read more after the cut

How has it been over the years as a female singer in a male dominated industry?

Being a female artist in a male dominated industry has been challenging. It can also be an advantage at times because it is easier to gain recognition as opposed to being a male because the competition is always stiff. I definitely enjoy being a female artist.

Can you tell us your biggest challenges and pains as a female singer?

Some of the biggest challenges that I have experienced being a female artist are that sometimes proper accommodation, makeup artists and hairstylists are not always available on set. The situation can be terrible because you have to make do with what you have. The situation is however changing because of the increase in the numbers of female personalities in the industry.

Has music been worth it for you?

Music will always be worth it because it is my dream and my passion to do music and creating music will never ceased.

Best moment of your music career?

The best moment of my music career was when I won Most Promising Female Artist 2013 at the Nigerian Entertainment Awards in New York.

Are you back because you are offered a better contract because it was reported you left late last year?

I'm with my label as always. My contract was renewed recently and more artists are under the label as well. The Made Men Album is currently in the works so you will hear from me and other artists under the label.

What is it like working with Iyanya and Ubi Franklin?

Working with Iyanya and Mr. Franklin has really given me a lesson in the Nigeria music industry. They explained to me that in order to succeed an artist, I must remain versatile and have a constant work ethic.

Tell us about your style?

I really enjoy staying edgy, sexy, and classy. When I'm on stage I prefer to wear clothes that suit the way I perform.

What is your favourite fashion accessories?

My favourite accessories are shoes and bags.

Who is the real Emma Nyra as an adult?

The real Emma Nyra is family oriented. I am very close with my mum, dad, and 3 siblings. Also most of my immediate family live in Asaba so that's where I spend my vacations when Im not performing.

Do you think your priviledge background contributed to who you are today?

My parents always made sure that they raised me with an emphasis on education. Without my parents blessing I would not have been able to successfully get my degree in Health Administration at Texas Southern University. My father and my elder sister both studied there so my family influenced my decisions. I am grateful for my parents insight.

What was growing up like?

While growing up I was trained to sing, dance, and do sport. My mother is a fashion designer, so I used to model in her runway shows. While I was also at the university, I received a scholarship to play volleyball for my school alongside my elder sister Krystal, so, those are wonderful experience o.f growing-up

Are you settling down soon?

When the right person comes along I will definitely consider it because one of my dreams is to become a mother and to run a happy household like my mother.

What do you look out for in a man?

My ideal man is someone who has a sense of humor and is business oriented.

Your most embarrassing moment?

My most embarrassing moments was when I was performing in Canada and I fell while on stage!.

No comments: