Thursday 10 July 2014

I was told to bare my boobs to get a role- Former SoundCity Presenter, Juliet Mgborukwe


As a former SoundCity presenter, what do you missed most about the job?
I missed being on the red carpet interacting with my role models because while we converse I was able to learn alot about my career. I miss spending time with my colleagues in the office gisting and all, I missed working for my boss. If I have the time and opportunity, I will love to work with him over again because he is such a kind hearted man. I missed standing on the red carpet with lots of people,the lights and cameras.


What are the challenges you are facing as an upcoming actress?


My major challenge as an actress is not starring in some movies, when I get a script, I try to read through it and see if I want to play such character and when I see that I can't play the character and revert to producer they tend to get angry and hold it against me forgetting that I was a channel ambassador and I can't play some certain roles in a movie. Also there is an unhealthy competition in the movie industry and I believe the sky is big enough to accommodate even a million stars and they will all shine brightly. At a movie location, you have to be mindful of your words and action so as not to offend anyone and also do your job diligently.

 Read more after the cut


Would you say you have overcome those challenges?

With a better understanding of the industry I am well able to contain such challenges now and make the best out of it. It used to bother me a lot when I was a green horn but I've been in it for almost 2 years now and worked with ace directors, producers and very talented actors from whom I have learnt a lot from. So it has become more interesting and less stressful.

What is your opinion about sexual assualt in the industry especially as an upcoming actress?

Sexual assault is in every industry in the world. As an upcoming actress I have had my own fair share of it but it was never at gun point, never deterred me, it's a choice you make whether to fall for it or not, If you believe in yourself, your talent and skills and you believe there is a living God, why would you trade your body for a movie role? I have had several occurrences where I turned down passes from filmmakers and I still ended up playing the role and sometimes I don't get a call back because I said no. One thing I believe in is that there is no rush in life. I believe in working more on my acting skills and praying for favour from God Almighty. I can proudly say I have starred in over 30 good movies and I didn't have to spread my legs for anyone. Sometimes it is even the artistes that willingly throw themselves at the filmmakers while sometimes reverse is the case. Its not easy as an upcoming actress but I know God will see me through and I will get my breakthrough someday as one of the A-list actresses in the country.


Have you ever been harrassed sexually?
Yes I have been, let me share one of my experiences. I went for a movie audition some years back and I was picked and invited for the final casting. On getting there, I was asked to take off my shirt so he could see how firm my boobs are claiming it is an epic movie. I got embarrassed and walked out and he kept calling saying: he will pair me alongside an A-list actress (don't want to mention names) if I agree to his terms but I never went back. I think all that and more was what made me loose interest in d movie industry then I decided to try TV and luckily for it worked for me until I and Yvonne Nelson became close friends and she invited me to starred in her first movie 'THE PRICE' ever since then I have started getting movie offers.
Who is or are your mentors in the industry?
I would not say I have a particular mentor in the industry, but I have Mentors and people that inspire me a lot. My strongest inspiration and motivation kicked in when I watched one of Beyonce,'s Tour on a flight to Dubai, I watched how hard working she is and how it has gotten her to where she is today. It made me realise hard work really pays. Another lady I also admire is Mrs. Funmilola Ramman nee Awofiyebi, I watched her while growing up in the soap opera PALACE as Koforola Baker and ever since then I've been in love with her. Also I look up to Yul Edochie, he has been a brother and a friend, always advices me positively he encourages me to do better. Genevieve Nnaji, Majid Micheal, Yvonne Nelson, Nse Ikpe Etim and Mercy Johnson all inspire me.



Which comes first, presenting or acting?

I love both, hard to choose,I think am gifted for both. However I think I tilt towards presenting more as a first choice, it is less competitive, more peaceful and more interactive and educative for me.Acting gives more fame and its leverage opens more doors. However right now I am more focused on my acting career because I am still new and have a lot to offer Nollywood, but I will definitely retire to presenting in future, probably have my own TV show. I am currently working on my Vblog.

What have you been up to lately apart from acting?

I have been doing a lot, travelling up and down to anchor and host events, acting takes most of my time but I still host red carpet for shows, weddings, awards, birthdays by the side. I am also working on my Hairline which I will be launching pretty soon and also my pet project as a foundation.

Do you regret your first marriage?
I don't want to talk about marriage. No man has ever paid my bride price. I wouldn't want to diss my ex by dissing the marriage.We had irreconcilable differences. The marriage was annulled and that settles it. I really don't want to talk about it again because it is my past now.

What have you learnt from your first marriage, which you wished you knew earlier?

I now know the qualities I want in a man and never to compromise it, just to accommodate a man who isn't bending for you as well.I have let to let God fully into the decision of marriage as he is the creator and can give you the grace to make one work successfully.


Are you enjoying your single status now that your marriage is over?


I am very fine and happy,working hard to be a better help mate to the man I will marry in future. Single life is for me to be complete in myself so as to complement him when he comes and that's what I am doing.


Few months ago, it was reported you are in a new relationship and set to remarry but nothing has been heard again. What happened?
(Laugh) Set to remarry? I can't remember ever planning to get married to anyone, yes I was in a relationship but that was about it. When I am set to get married trust me you will be d first to know.
Are you still in a relationship with the man or are you in a new relationship?
Right now I can't tell you if I am in a relationship. I just want to keep it to myself for now.


Tell us about your style?
Talking about style, I have a great sense of style, I love to flaunt my legs, I love native attires but I don't ever have time to make them. It would surprise you I don't have any in my closet. I am also not freaked about jeans trousers, I have only 2 pairs of jean trousers. I could stay for years without wearing a jean trouser except am compelled to.

Are you a designer freak?
I won't say I am a designer freak but I love the good and quality stuff be it a branded name or unknown name, as long as its good, suits my taste and affordable then am getting it. Its quality than quantity for me. I always tell my friends, instead of wearing a fake designer brand, it's better not to even wear it at all and wear an unknown brand.Unconsciously though, my wardrobe is more designer branded.

Your most cherished fashion accessory or accessories?
My most cherished fashion accessories are bag, I really love bags. I am also a sulker for hats and belts.

Since your marriage ended, would you say your perspective about men has changed?

My perspective about men changed after my first heart break, at a point in my life, I just wanted to have a child and forget about relationships but looking at my family background I can't. Separation with my Ex only gave me more insight on men, I know better now and still learning, I believe there are still good and decent men out there and I will marry one.

So now what do you look out for in a man
I look out for a man who will be my best friend a man. A man that loves God and see and love me through God's eyes and same with me to him. I want a man who has authourity figure. he must be able listen to to me. I want a man whose vision is large enough to accommodate mine, as I am going to be great. A man that respect a woman and will never lay his fingers on any woman, a man with good upbringing and above all, a man that is sure of what he wants for himself.

With your experience from your marriage, what is your opinion about marriage now?
Marriage is a beautiful thing created and ordained by God, it can work with God as the foundation of it all. I'd say don't be in a hurry to get married be sure you are ready for it. Marriage makes or mar you so you have to be delibrate about your choice of partner.
A woman is to submit to her husband, so choose who you can submit to as your spouse.
Know that you are a helpmate called to help him achieve his dreams and aspirations and raise godly children.

Can you act nude?
I can't act Nude no matter the fee. Our society will not tolerate that,our culture doesn't appreciate such, though we watch and applaud the western world and their nudity but frown at it when played out here. It is also important for me to consider my family.

When did you actually go into acting?

I got into acting professionally in 2012 after I broke up with my Ex, but before then, I had the opportunity in 2011 to star in Yvonne Nelson's first movie titled 'The Price'' also starring Majid Micheal directed by Frank Rajah. Yvonne Nelson and I, are friends so she invited me over to Ghana to star in her movie while I also cover behind the scenes and do some interviews and all.. After that I started getting movie offers but I wasn't really ready to go into acting full time then until September 2012 after my break up then I decided to take acting really serious and since then till now I am here and very grateful to God for his mercies.


What do you think about nollywood as an industry?

I think Nollywood is a fast growing industry and right now it is the 3rd largest in the whole world. I see that as an achievement for an industry that's just about 20 year old.It has put nigeria in the World entertainment spotlight, it is fast becoming an economic income earner for the nation and it keeps getting better.It sure has its own challenges and setbacks hence I am striving to be one of those that will redefine Nollywood and make it an industry every single Nigerian will be proud of.It a platform to showcase our culture,society,hospitality and real things happening.I believe we can change the political terrain with movies from nollywood.

Can we know you and your background?



My name is Juliet chidinma Mgborukwe, I am from a family of 5, 3boys and 2 girls, I am th 1st daughter from a christian home, I was born and breed in lagos, I am from Abia state.


Tell us about your growing-up and things you used to do then as a young girl?


Growing up for me was quite exciting. I had the best upbringing ever, I got to my father's leather and shoe factory each day after school to play and watch people work. I have a beautiful mother who was a beauty queen in her own child days and I think I took after her in that.
She dressed me up often in princess attire I became the envy of girls in both school and church then. I use to lead all the kids in drama, match past, cultural dance and all. I grew up around a lot of my uncles and aunties who lived with my parents so I learnt a lot from their experiences. I had part of my secondary school in Ebonyi State.


Most interesting thing that happened to you while growing-up?


The most interesting thing that happened to me while growing up was when I was about 6 years,I participated in a beauty contest in my primary school St. Gloria nursery and primary school and I won so I became the queen of my school for two consecutive years. I went to school wearing my crown and waving and smiling as am doing now.

No comments: