Monday 14 July 2014

No regret having my son as a teenager- Toyin Alausa


 Toyin Alausa has become a household name in Nollywood and most especially in the soap operas, where she has become a regular. In this interview with Abimbola Adebayo,  talks about her job as an actress, why people percieve her as a difficult person and being a single mother....except

Why is it that you are more visible in soap opera than in movies?
I didn't set out to intentionally shoot soap opera's alone but that is what I get most. But I get people who call me for movies roles but the soaps are more regular.

Could it be that you don't get along with your colleagues who makes movies?
They know me because I don't think anybody in the industry does not know who, Toyin Alausa is. They reach out for me when they have something for me. I also think sometimes they forget. I have met with people, who when they see me says; Toyin are you around, are you in town. Ha, Toyin, I just shot a movie and I would have featured you in the movie. Sometimes I just ask them, do they call me. The cartels in the industry are also responsible and also the financial constraints but I still get movie jobs. If the movie I am being called for is not worth it, I don't shoot.

Read more after the cut


You mentioned that financial constraint are one of the reasons you don't feature in movies. Does that means, you are expensive to get?
There are few exceptions. I can decide to act free in a movie just to contribute my own quota to a person's success but the person should also know there must be a reward even if it a stipend, I don't need to ask you. You should know that if I give up my time, sweat, you should appreciate me no matter how small. It is a logical thing to do.

So how expensive is, Toyin Alausa?
You know we are not penciled with a price tag. Mercy Johnson, had an issue because she asked for a higher price but for me you can't put a price on creativity. If, Mercy Johnson decide's that she is better at what she do, she can charge what she feels she deserved. I can't tell you that this is what I am worth. I play and face different challenges in movies so their prices cannot be the same.

It has been said that it has not been easy managing you and that is one of the reasons you have not been getting called for movies?
The truth of the matter is that they feel sometimes I have some outburst which I see as a result of my emotions. For instance, you don't expect me to come to your location where you are going to under pay me and still could not provide me with the basic things. You don't expect me to come with my custume and even if I did, if there is a problem I expect you to tackle them. I don't expect you to tell me to put on a dress that is small or bigger for my size so that we can go ahead and shoot. At that point I am likely to prove a point to you. So, it is one of the reasons while people says that I am  difficult. They should consider my own comfort and contribution to making the movie a success. They should stop saying that, Toyin Alausa, held production to ransome because of custume. But what is not right is not right.

You seems to become more prominent after shooting ' Omotara Johnson' with Bukky Wright?
I really appreciate that ' Omotara Johnson' contributed immensely to my career but that was not the movie that shot me into limelight. I have done works like Eden of Paradise, Family Ties, Treasures before Omotara Johnson. I have always been there but it contributed to my career. My fan base have also always been there before ''Omotara Johnson''

I know it has been  years since that blockbursting movie but how did you get the role in Omotara Johnson?
The discovery was by accident. The role was penciled down for somebody else but the person was in London at that time and could not make it until the third day of shooting the movie. The director just called me up because he felt I fit the role better because he had worked with me. It was the same day I got on set that I started shooting Omotara Johnson.

How many movies have you acted in so far?
I have acted in many such as Adupa Emi, Elerin Eye, Jawonsi, Awon and many others.

Since you have feature in many soap operas than some of your colleagues, would you call yourself the queen of soap opera?
I won't call myself the queen of soap opera's but if people calls me that, maybe I am worth it and deserve it but I won't call myself the queen of soap opera's. But on the other hand, if you call me the queen of soap opera, you are right because I have been part of five soap opera and I can bet you that non of the so called mega star have been in a soap opera at a stretch. Some of my jobs are still on air till now.

What do you think of the industry when it comes to be paid what an artiste is worth?
There are still a lots of works to be done in the industry on that. They should appreciate you and your work.

Rating yourself as an actress?
I would tell you I am one of the best actresses in the industry. I am what you call the very best and I know with time my own time would come.

You are a single mother with a teenage son, what has stopped you from getting married all these years?
Nothing. I had my son has a teenager. As a 17 year-old. Until the right man comes, I will not rush into marriage. I will not hook myself up with anybody and said I am married. I have to be ordainly married by God.

How have you been coping as a single mother?
I have been coping fine. You can see that for yourself. My son is now grown.
Don't you miss not been married and don't you think you son need a father figure in his life?
I would say until the right man comes along I can't miss that. My son has a father because he is close to his father and he also has uncles who are proud of him for who he is. I have done wonderfully well with myself and my son which is not an easy road. He is the best thing that ever happened to me and I happy I never made the mistake of aborting him.

Can you describe who you are?
I am a realistic person. That is how I would describe who I am.
I am from Ijebu Ode, Ogun State. I went to Mainland preperatory school and Our Lady of Apostle Secondary School, Ijebu Ode. I did one year English course in Tai Solarin College of Education. I am a single mother, a business woman and an actress.

There was a time it was said that you now run a catering outfit so how has the business develop so far?
It not something that I have developed to be big and that does not me I don't run the business it is just that it has not gotten big. I have my clients who call me up for jobs.

Is the catering outfit an alternative to acting when the roles are no longer coming?
I won't say that because they are both two different things.

Can you go nude for a movie role?
For what. I am an Africa woman and as one it is not right for me to do that.

What if you are paid millions to do it?
I tell you I am an African woman.

What do you think of the nudity in the industry especially among the ladies?
They have the boldness to do so. They chose that line for themselves. There are things I can't do that you can do. Nudity does not make you a star. It only get yu noticed for a while and after that people forgot about you.

No comments: