Saturday 5 July 2014

I can never date anyone in the entertainment industry- Chidinma Ekile


Chidinma Ekile is the product of MTN Project Fame West Africa. In this interview with, Abimbola Adebayo, the down to earth fast-growing singer talks about her music, family and relationship.

Your music is growing so fast, how does it feels like to have a growing career in the short time you emerged on the music scene?
It feels very good, though, it being a lots of hardwork, a lots of determination. There have also been a lots of discouragement here and there but I have kept pushing and pushing and I thank God for what I am right now.
With your music booming, do you get to have special moment to your self?
Yeah, I still try my best to have quality time for myself. I also try to be in-tune with my family because that is the only place I can get to get my sanity. It not being easy, having to perform here and there. As, I speak to you, I am just coming from an event. It is very crazy but I try my best to put everything in order.
You recently got yourself a N10million car, how does it feels like living the big life?
I won't call that living the big life. It is something I worked for. It is my sweat. Like I said in my message the car was not a gift but bought by my hard earn money. However, I thank God for how far he has bless me.
With yur success, will come the male attentions. How have you been coping?

Read more after the cut

I will say I thank God for my background and the way I was brought up because it has keep me straight. My parent are very religious people, so any time I look at my background, I just think about where I am coming from and where I am going is much more better and bigger, I quickly put myself in line.
As a young girl with fame and money, do you still keep in touch with your old friends?
Sincerely, not with all of them but few of them because people would always be human. Some of them might just feel jealous or envy you. But I still have my good friends around. When I have not won the competition, if you called me for us to hang out, I would go but now, if they called and I said sorry I can't go because I have other engagements, like going to the studio, granting interviews and so on, some will just feel offended. And they will say because she is now a star she is behaving somehow
How do you seperate the celebrity Chidinma from the normal Chidinma, especially when you are with your siblings?
Definitely! At home, I do all my home chore. I clean, sweep, cook, I am just the normal me. They shout at me to come and wash the plate, when I am suppose to wash them. Everything is just normal in my family.
Ever had the urge to live alone like some of your colleagues, who are living alone?
I am not planning to live alone yet.

Are you planning to get married soon?
I am not planning to marry soon.
The last time we had a chat, you told me you are at the University of Lagos, how have you been coping with music and school?
I tried my best but it is not easy. It is also very difficult but it is worth it. The strike also made it easy for me because it allows me to focus on music.
What are you working on right now?
I am currently working on video for my songs.
Would you say you are still facing some challenges in the industry?
Yes of cause. As a female, it is definitely a challenge in a male dominated industry. You have to work extra hard to be reckon with.
What makes you to keep the lowcut, I see it has been on for a while?
I don't really know. I think I want a different look. Everybody was doing the weavon, the brazilian look but I decided I want a short hair. I think it is my signature.
How far are you ready to go with it?
I don't know but for now this is my look.
There was a time it was reported that you were expel from your church, do you still go to the same church?
(Laugh) I was never told to live my church, I am still part of the church.
Are you still part of the choir because that one of the reason it was reported that you were told never to come to the church again for singing secular songs?
I am still part of the choir. I am going for the choir practice. Funny it was one of the choir that toldme about the story.
Are you in a relationship?
I am not and is it necessary for me to have one.
But you and Adam of SoundCity were reported to be dating?
Those are just rumour. there is nothing whatsoever between us.
Would you date a person in the entertainment industry or outside the industry?
I can't ever becuase we can't be doing the same thing. It can't be possible. I would rather date someone outside the industry.
Are you saying you have never had a boyfriend?
Yes.
So how come people are saying Chidinma is dating this guy or that?
I don't know. They are just rumours.
Though, MTN Project Fame is the stepping stone for you into limelight but in your widest imagination did you ever dreamt of getting this far so soon in your career?
No, I never imagine it because I have had to work my way towards it.
What do you do to keep your voice?
I just stay warm. Naturally I don't like cold or cold drinks.
How was your childhood like?
My childhood was not fun. I didn't have the time to do what I wanted to do as a young girl. What other young girls of my age are doing then, I didn't have the time to go out often because my parents are disciplinarian. It was always from the house to church and from church to the house. I never know how to be a young girl.
Have they relaxed their hold on you?
Yes they have because I have to work, though they still tell me what I have to do at times.

This interview is exclusive to abimboladebayo.blogspot.com and therefore subjected to copyright law

No comments: